Friday, May 02, 2008

Grant Writing--FUN, FUN!

Now, I know this will bore most of you when I start talking about school, but I have to vent somewhere! (Kris sure doesn't want to hear it!!) Anyways... last week we were told that we had a few DAYS to get this grant proposal in for a LEAPS grant to enable our school to have a big after school program. Now, this isn't your run of the mill after school program. It is a $20 an hour paid/2 hour a day/up to 4 day a week program that you can choose what you teach. Now, to a teacher, this is very exciting. But, the most exciting part is the unlimited budget! All you have to do is ASK for it and you shall receive! I am having a great time thinking of all the possibilities for this money, but the process of getting it is evidentally the FUN part! Ha. Since I had a student teacher until recently, I was chosen to start this grant writing along with a friend of mine. We have been working on this thing almost non-stop for over a week now. (We did get a few more DAYS extension, thank goodness!) So, now my brain is fried from a different kind of stress! Actually trying to find words to use that don't get overused...oh, and TRYING to sound smart! ha ha.

Just had to get that out. But, if any of you teachers out there have another word I can use for "economically disadvantaged students" besides calling them "at risk," I would LOVE to hear it!!

3 comments:

Kandi said...

Can you just say "South of the River" , that kind of sums it up.....just kidding!!! We had this program at PJ and it was awesome, it gave the kids opportunity to try activities that they otherwise would not be able to b/c of cost. Plus the extra money for teachers was a nice incentive too.

The Ralph's said...

Jenn participates in this program at Wartburg. Last year she taught scrapbooking, right up your alley huh? And she also got paid to drive some kids to fishing class =)

The Clifton Family said...

Scrapbooking is actually what I plan on teaching! And, Introduction to Spanish! Funny.